I noticed that i was receiving more emails and request than ever. I just knew my page is doing well.
Then come a day when someone sent me an email requesting for me to create a Facebook page for him. I was like ''wow'', this is easy. But he said he cannot do it like mine. I never had any idea on online community management.
After discussing with this client i told him to provide me details of what he actually needs. Here are some of the things he mentioned;
-We will need someone who can create a page and manage it on our behalf.
-we will like you to equally promote our page to your friends and followers.
-We will like you and your team to monitor our page growth and offer suggestions on what we can do to increase sale.
-We will like to know if people like our products from their comments, messages and others you can think of.
- Please equally suggest tools we can use to make the best out of our social media platforms.
-Provide content for our websites and pages equally.
Many other things were listed by my client.
I accepted the challenge and did not know what to ask for the services. After some research I was able to come up with quotation for the service and that was a plus one in my digital marketing career.
Well with fear in me I thought I was never going to a make it but thanks to the sixth sense everything went well and my client was very happy offering me 100K FCFA for a thank you.
I decided to explore this career path .
The Online Community management Job.
I discovered many Cameroon were busy looking for accounting jobs ,marketing jobs,secretariat jobs and others. The digital jobs are there but no one to get them. I think it is time for Cameroonians to get ready for online community management job. You can have an idea of your duties from the task my first client gave me.
In brief, an online community manager should have this basic chareteristics;
-Able to work under pressure. Social media users at times are annoying but you don’t have to react in the same direction as them. Keep calm and focus on your goals.
- You should be able to write and talk well. Providing quality content for your audience is very important and you cannot afford to mess it up by taking this career by being an observer.
- You should have some fun in you. Don’t be like one strict mathematics teacher who doesn’t want to laugh when looking for ''x'' and ''y''. Some clients are on social media just to have fun. While try to make conversions from them make sure their mood is not distorted because you were one kind of ‘’serious person’’
Please don’t become MR Bean or spaco because I have said you should have some fun in you. Be natural and human. That’s all.- Be someone who can inspire others.
- You should be creative. Make use of picture editors, word , excel and others. People like creative things and will really love to be part of your community if you are that type of person.
- You should be able to set up discussions that can lead to sales. Don’t be focused on publishing products or services for sale.
You can email: email@example.com if you want more about this career path. Permit me end here.
In all this is a career path that is based on the person and not the education. I believe if youths can add this skill to their skills it will open them to more opportunities in the digital market.
How will you start?
You can become a volunteer for any person and see what results you can bring. You can volunteer in becoming an admin of a page, writing content and sharing on your page, or profile, volunteering for companies. However, your focus should be on achieving specific goals. Today, I manage several pages. I did not do a social media Facebook page management course in the university.
I believe you can equally take up the task and become a better online community manager.
In the nearest future, we will be offering 1, Month ,2 months, and 3 months courses for those interested in having a better view on this career path.
Companies in Cameroon should consider employing an online community manager or some getting some talents from outside to carry this task for them.
Sales and leads are increasing everyday on social media platforms and your company should not be left out. Join us to create a digital Cameroon with our #getonlinecameroon on twitter and facebook.
Do you have any online community management experience in Cameroon?
Subscribe and get Tips and any opportunities in Digital Marketing by filling the form below